Repair and Installation Professionals
Attempting to repair your water heater on your own could be more expensive than hiring a professional to come out and do the work for you. In fact, your repair attempt could make things worse, to the point of needing to replace the unit all together. For professional water heater repair in Summerville and Charleston, SC, rely on the professionals at Delk Plumbing. Schedule a repair or installation with us by calling (843) 873-6331.
Electric Water Heater Repair
How long will an electric water heater last? Generally, an electric water heater will last 10 to 15 years. However, there is always a possibility that, during that time, you will need to call a professional out to do repairs to ensure your water heater is working optimally. Call us today at (843) 873-6331 if you are experiencing electric water heater issues.
Gas Water Heater
A gas water heater will generally have two major issues.
- Issues with the pilot light.
- Problems with the heater thermocouple.
One other issue with a gas water heater is its life span is only eight to 12 years based on the manufacturer’s suggested service life. This does not mean that it won’t last for up to 15, but understand that sooner or later you have to replace it.
Troubleshoot Gas Water Heater Issues
- No hot water: Check the pilot light to make sure it is lit. Make sure the gas is on and relight the pilot.
- Not enough hot water: Turn the unit’s thermostat dial to a hotter setting.
- Pilot won’t stay lit: The orifice could be dirty or plugged.
- Water is too hot: Check the thermostat setting and turn it to a lower setting.
Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless or point of use water heaters do not hold hot water in a tank, but rather they heat water as it is used at the shower, sink, or other appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines. There is less to go wrong with a tankless water heater but depending on your home, a point of use heater may not be the best choice for you.
Another thing that makes these water heaters appealing is that they have a long lifespan. Most will last over 20 years.
While we always recommend using a professional to repair or inspect any unit that you are dealing with, there may be a way that you can stabilize your unit until professional help can arrive. Read your user’s manual to see what your options are. It is okay for you to do this, but as an inexperienced individual, we do not at all recommend attempting any form of repair or replacement on your own. You could accidentally end up costing yourself way more in cleanup and repair expenses than if you had just hired a professional at the first sign of any issue. Call us today at (843) 873-6331 so we can take care of all your plumbing service needs.
Other Indications of Water Heater Damage
- Leaking – Depending on where the leak is, it could mean you need to repair or replace the pipes or you may need to replace the water heater.
- Utility bill – Your electric bill or gas bill has suddenly increased for no apparent reason.
- Discolored water – This could be from sediment in the bottom of the tank, backflow into your water lines, or rust from inside the water heater.
Whether it is an electric or gas water heater use caution. If you do not you could burn up the water heater or cause damage to your house or even yourself.
If you have no experience with repairing a water heater the best thing you can do is to call a licensed plumber. Delk Plumbing is not only licensed but has over 40 years of experience in Summerville and Charleston, SC. We can repair, replace, or install water heaters safely and efficiently.
Whether it is electric or gas, tank or tankless your best option for water heater repair or replacement is to call a professional plumber. Each type of water heater has its own drawbacks and life expectancy is 8 to 15 years, except for tankless water heaters, which has a lifespan of around 20 years.
Delk Plumbing has years of experience and a master plumber license and they replace, repair, or install all types of water heaters in Summerville and Charleston, SC, and the surrounding areas. If you live in one of these areas call us today at (843) 873-6331.
- Electric Water Heater Replacement If you are having problems with your electric water heater, we can repair it or replace it with a new system.
- Propane Gas Water Heater Replacement Rely on our skilled technicians to repair, replace or install your propane gas water heater.
- Tankless Water Heater Installation If you want hot water on demand, consider installing a tankless water heater.