A main water line leak can cause a lot of problems and damage. Beyond that, a small leak can turn into a flood very quickly. Residents in the Summerville and Charleston, SC area have the potential for this to happen. That is why at Delk Plumbing, Inc. we want to spread the knowledge about this issue as much as possible, so you will not have to deal with a water main disaster. Whether you realize it or not, burst pipes are one of the leading causes of property damage in the area. That’s why our plumbers offer expert services to help repair your water main while also limiting extensive damage in your home.
One of the leading causes of burst pipes is excess pressure caused by a clog. Luckily, the solution is as simple as scheduling routine drain cleaning for your home.
What Causes Burst Pipes?
There are many circumstances that can contribute to a bust pipe. Some of these issues are preventable, while others only require a vigilant eye in order to keep them from getting worse. Take a look at the most common reasons for a pipe to burst.
- Frozen Pipes: Frozen pipes are one of the most common ways for pipes to burst. After the water has frozen, it will eventually start to melt and expand. The expansion of the water will cause too much pressure, causing the pipe to leak or burst.
- Age: Over time, your pipes will wear down. Age can cause them to rust and corrode causing leaks and holes. Eventually, the wear down will burst the pipe.
- Clogs: Blocks in your pipes is another dangerous situation that can result in burst pipes. When the clog is not allowing any water to pass through, the pressure builds until it blows apart the pipe.
- Construction: Heavy construction on your property can disrupt and damage your plumbing system causing pipes to burst.
- Trees: If there are trees growing near your sewer line or main water line, the roots can grow into the pipe causing them to leak and burst.
Tips for Avoiding a Burst Pipe
A flood in your home or in your yard can be a tough mess to clean up. It can also cost a pretty penny in the way of repairs and replacement costs. Luckily, there are ways to minimize the likelihood of a burst pipe occurring.
Following these simple steps and rules of thumb will help homeowners in the Summerville and Charleston, SC area reduce the risk of plumbing floods.
- Insulate your pipes for the cold weather to ensure they will not freeze.
- During extremely cold temperatures, keep your faucets running at a trickle to avoid freezing.
- Be aware of decreased water pressure that could indicate a clog in your plumbing system.
- Watch for signs of leaks inside your home and around your property.
- Have your drains cleaned on a bi-annual basis to keep them clean of debris.
- Have your pipes inspected for signs of leaks, clogs, and damage.
- Replace older pipes before they have the chance to burst and cause a flood.
Is old plumbing creating a hazard in your home? Be sure to ask about our whole-home repiping services, and solve your plumbing issues once and for all!
How Professionals Deal With a Burst Pipe
At Delk Plumbing, Inc., we deal with burst pipes on a regular basis. Depending on the severity of the situation, the procedure for dealing with the problem can differ. First and foremost, our technicians will need to have access to your main water supply to shut off the flow if it has not been done already.
Once that is accomplished, there are several roads we can take:
- First, the technician will locate the problem. Sometimes, this can be readily apparent, while at other times a camera scope will be needed.
- Next, it will be determined whether the portion of the pipe can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.
- If the pipe can be repaired, typically a pipe cutter and solder will be used to seal any cracks or leaks. The pipes will then be put back together.
- If a section of the pipe needs to be replaced, the same procedure in step four is utilized; however, a new piece of piping will be installed.
- In some cases, if the plumbing system is particularly old or deteriorated, a whole-house repiping may be suggested. At that point, a consultation will be provided regarding the plan to move forward.
Whether freezing temperatures are causing pipes to burst or your plumbing system is old, you can count on our plumbing pros to help your home. At Delk Plumbing, Inc., we can help repair burst pipes and also protect your home by inspecting your plumbing and protecting things like outside hose bibs.