Water heaters are never so prominent in a homeowner’s mind then when they breakdown. Cold showers in the morning are no way to start the day. Luckily, the plumbers at Delk Plumbing, Inc. are trained and experienced in servicing both electric and propane water heaters. We are available for water heater maintenance, repairs, and replacements in the Summerville and Charleston, SC area. If your water heater is more than three quarters through its life stage, and you are facing repairs that will cost at least have a new unit, it’s time to reach out to our pros.
Looking for a more energy-efficient option for your water heater? Be sure to ask about our tankless water heaters today!
Signs Your Water Heater Needs Repair
Whether you have a propane or electric water heater, they are capable of breaking down and ruining your day. Thankfully, there are some warning signs that will help alert you to possible repairs before the system shuts down.
- Leaks: Any leaks coming from the water heater is a sign of trouble that should not be ignored.
- Inefficient Heat: Another sign of an eminent repair is when your water heater is not producing the same level of heat as it once did before.
- Longer Heat Time: Similar to the sign above, water that takes longer than normal to heat is an issue.
- Pilot Light: This is for propane systems, but if the pilot light is not blue, you should reach out to a professional.
- Noise: A water heater is going to make some kind of nice when it cycles on and off. Typically, the noise will fade into the background. If you notice strange sounds, you will need to have your system repaired.
- Increased Energy Bills: Lastly, increased energy costs are also a sign that your system is working too hard to produce hot water.
While you should always leave water heater repairs to the pros, knowing the warning signs can help you avoid an unexpected emergency like a burst water heater tank or a complete system failure.
When Should You Opt for Water Heater Replacement?
At some point, repairs will no longer be enough to save your current water heater and it will need to be replaced. Older inefficient heaters can cost a considerable amount in energy costs, not to mention their ineffective heater capabilities.
Regardless of whether you need a propane or electric water heater installed, Delk Plumbing, Inc. is available to assist you. Take a look at these signs it’s time to reach out to us:
- Water pressure: Poor water pressure is a serious issue that can be related to your water heater. Typically, this is due to a mineral build-up in the system.
- Metallic Water: Whether the water has a rusty appearance, metallic taste, or strange odor, this is a sign that your water heater has been compromised by limescale build-up. This will eventually clog the system completely.
- Age: If your unit is more than 15 years old and you have frequent repairs, it is more cost-efficient to have the system replaced.
In general, these three symptoms are key to making the final decision and can be the last warning signal before the system fails altogether. While investing in a new unit can be expensive, it does offer added benefits like improved performance, lower energy costs, and added property value.
Have you noticed mold and mildew in your basement? It could be a slab leak that could cause a lot more serious damage. We offer slab leak detection and repair services too!
Choosing Your New Water Heater
Choosing your replacement system can take some thought for most homeowners. There are electric, propane, and natural gas units, plus modern smart features such as vacation mode you can take advantage of in your home. More important than features, however, is working with a reliable plumber that has experience with the trusted brands you need.
Water heaters can be dangerous to work with on your own. At Delk Plumbing, Inc., our technicians are experienced and trained to handle all maintenance, repairs, and replacements. We always work with your home needs and budget in mind, finding the personalized solution you deserve in your home.