Gas leaks can be scary for the whole family. When your home appliances are run off gas, it is an essential part of your home that needs to be taken care of by experts. This is where we come in to help. Delk Plumbing, Inc. is a certified and licensed company that provides the safest and most reliable gas line services. Using your gas leak detection services, we can safely and accurately locate any damage in your Summerville or Charleston, SC gas line, keeping your home and family protected.
If you have a gas line that needs to be replaced, our gas line installation experts are ready to help!
Common Signs You Have a Gas Leak
The last thing a homeowner wants to deal with is a gas leak. It can happen at any time during the day or year, and the outcome of this happening can be disastrous. On the other hand, with some simple safety measures and vigilance, you can spot these leaks before they cause any real damage.
Take a look at these signs that you have a gas leak:
- The smell of sulfur or rotten eggs
- Chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Nose bleeds
- Unexplained dying plants
- Higher than normal gas bill
- Excess moisture on the windows
- Hissing noise near the gas line
- Damaged connections to gas-powered appliances
These symptoms are true of both natural and propane gas. Gas is an odorless substance that your providers add a smell to in order to alert you of a possible leak. That being said, if you notice two or more of these symptoms appearing unexpectedly, you should leave the home and contact your provider. If you know where the shut off is to your home, you should do that, as well.
What to Do in the Event of a Gas Leak
If you ever find yourself in a gas leak situation, there are a few important steps you should take right away. These are crucial in keeping your home and family as safe as possible. Take a look at these important rules if you have a leak in your gas line or appliances.
- Do not light any flames
- Open as many doors and windows as possible
- Do not turn off or on any lights
- Do not operate any electronics including TVs and cell phones
- Do not start your car
- Leave the home right away
- Call for help
Although some of these may seem odd, even using your cell phone or turning a light switch off can produce enough static electricity to create an explosion. To be safe, leave the home right away and call for help from either your gas provider or emergency services. Only after the area is safe and the gas is shut off should you call for a repair.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Gas Line
Before it gets to the point of a gas leak, there may be other signs that you need to have your line either replaced or repaired. Take a look at these signs below:
- Odd Sounds: If you notice a hissing or roaring sound near your gas line, this could mean it needs repair or replacement.
- Inefficient Appliances: Gas run appliances may perform below standard if there is a gas leak. If you notice that they are not working correctly, especially if they are new or there is more than one, you should have your gas line checked for leaks.
- Increased Energy Costs: Another tell-take sign of a gas leak in your energy bills. If you notice a spike in your costs without a change to your typical habits, you should call for an inspection.
- Previous Issues: If you have already found a leak in the line, chances are it will reappear if the problem was only repaired not replaced.
- Gas Line: If the line is visible at any point or the line is old and past its life span, you should have it inspected and most likely replaced.
Delk Plumbing, Inc. is your reliable gas leak detection company. Using the latest technology and methods, we can accurately locate any leak in your gas line and offer a long-lasting solution you can depend on.
Is your gas line in good condition but you’re still having issues with your water heater? It may be time for an upgrade! Be sure to ask about our tankless water heater installations.
Why Choose Us
In the Summerville and Charleston, SC communities, there is no plumber more trusted than Delk Plumbing, Inc. We have been voted the #1 plumber for five years and counting. Our family operated business is proud to serve our residents with quality craftsmanship at competitive prices. A gas leak should always be taken seriously as it will not only prevent you from using your appliances but also could put your safety at risk. Whether you suspect there’s a leak or simply want to schedule routine care, our expert staff is here to help!