Each drain in your home is connected to the main sewer line. This is the waterway in which all your dirty laundry water, soapy dishwater, shower, and toilet wastewater leaves your Summerville or Charleston, SC home. If there is an issue such as a clog in the drain line, the results can be messy, expensive, and dangerous. For that reason and many others, it is important to have your drain lines cleaned on a routine basis to avoid situations like backed-up sewage in your home. Thankfully, our professional drain cleaning services can take care of the chore quickly and with little inconvenience to you.
Are you concerned your sewer line might have a leak? Have it inspected by our plumbing pros before it is too late!
Signs Your Drain Line Needs to Be Cleaned
We recommend homeowners have their drains cleaned every two years, depending on the age and amount of usage in the home. That being said, there are circumstances that may require them to be cleaned more often such as other damage that occurs. Drain cleaning issues will not be shy to let themselves be known, however.
Let’s take a look at some signs that your lines need to be visited by a professional:
- Multiple Clogged Drains: A pretty sure-fire sign that you need to have your drains cleaned is when you have two or more drains that are clogged. That is usually due to a large block deeper in your piping system.
- Slow Drains: Another telltale sign are drains that move slowly. If the wastewater in your sinks and showers don’t immediately evacuate, this can be due to a clog that is building further down the drainpipe.
- Recurring Clogs: A drain that keeps getting clogged after you have cleared it of debris is most likely due to a block deep in the drain system that is not easily accessible to the homeowner.
- Floods: Although it is less likely, water that pools up through the drain is a mainline issue. This is also the worst-case scenario as the wastewater can cause a lot of damage and potential health issues.
- Odors: Sewage smells coming from the bathroom or near sinks and drains are also indicators that it is time to have your drains cleaned.
The Benefits of Drain Cleaning Maintenance
As we mentioned above, drain cleaning is recommended every two years. Keeping up with this chore will stop some messy and potentially expensive repairs from occurring in your home. Not just that, but there are also several other benefits to ongoing maintenance such as:
- Prevents Emergency Repairs: Having an emergency drain situation never happens at a convenient time. In fact, there is no such thing as a convenient time. Keeping up with maintenance, though, can reduce the risk of it happening.
- Other Issues: Proper cleaning is an opportunity for your plumbing technician to find other possible issues that can be festering but has not yet shown any signs of trouble.
- Smell: Routine maintenance will help reduce odors in the home that can come from your sewer line.
- Slow Drains: Slow moving drains are an annoyance. Drain cleaning will help keep everything moving quickly.
- Blocked Drains: Another benefit of regular drain line maintenance is the reduction of clogs. It will also eliminate any clogs or blocks that could appear in the future.
How to Prevent Clogs
Although drain pipe maintenance is important, clogs can still occur if you’re not careful. Luckily, there are some simple and easy ways to avoid clogs and keep everything draining as it should. Following these few simple rules will ensure you do not have any emergency situations.
- Keep all food out of the drain. Empty dishes into the garbage before placing them in the sink. This is especially true of grease and oil. Water does not break either of these liquids down, and they will build up in your pipes.
- Use screens in all your sink and shower drains. This will keep small debris such as hair from going down the pipe and creating a clog.
- Stay away from liquid drain cleaners. These chemicals do more harm than good, and they can corrode your pipes. Instead, use a plunger or hot water.
- Do not put anything down the toilet except toilet paper and wastewater. All napkins, wet wipes, sanitary products, etc should be placed in the trash.
- Remember, have your drains inspected and cleaned regularly to ensure they are working properly.
Even with the best care, at some point, you may find yourself dealing with a clog. While most homeowners will opt for a store-bought cleaner, in many cases, this can do more harm than help. At Delk Plumbing, Inc., we are your reliable drain cleaning company. Not only do we find the root source of the problem, but also we can help you schedule ongoing maintenance to ensure your plumbing is always clog-free.
Dealing with a tougher clog? We also offer a hydro jetting service! This highly effective method is completely safe on your plumbing and can remove even the toughest blockage.
Expert Service a Call Away
Delk Plumbing, Inc. is a locally owned and family operated company, and we have been serving the communities of Summerville and Charleston, SC since 1978. As an award-winning plumbing company with experienced technicians, there is no job too big or too small we can’t handle. We understand that clogs happen, and are often one of the most common plumbing issues you can deal with within your home. Because of this, we’ve refined our skills to offer efficient and effective drain cleaning that will leave your pipes free-flowing for years to come.